Sunday, October 30, 2005

Diplomatic Pouch

SIS Student Profile: Bilal Wahab, MA ‘07
While many American University students are concerned about an upcoming test or paper, Bilal Wahab, MA ’07, has other things on his mind: the fate of his home country—Iraq. As a Fulbright Fellow, Wahab is working on a Master’s degree in International Politics with a concentration in Transnational Crime and Corruption.
Bilal Wahab, MA '07, Fullbright Recipient
“Now that the doors are open, I have the chance to receive quality education from a prestigious university such as AU,” Wahab said. When I am here, I will try to build bridges between the two communities, American and Iraqi.”
Wahab chose AU because of its strong academic programs. “It is a multidisciplinary school that allows me to widen my horizons. TraCCC (Transnational Crime and Corruption Center) was one of the main reasons I was attracted to the school,” Wahab said. “At SIS (School of International Service), I can get both the theoretical and the practical expertise to be equipped for my mission when I return home.” Before coming to AU, Wahab worked as Assistant Program Officer for Iraqi political parties at the International Republican Institute. He helped conduct “Get-out-the-vote” campaigns and train political parties, especially women candidates, for the January 2005 Iraqi elections. Born in Erbil, Kurdistan, Wahab already has big plans after he graduates in 2007. He wants to teach at Iraqi universities and start a watchdog group to monitor the government for good governance and transparency.Click here to read Bilal Wahab’s online article, “A Prayer’s Chance,” on National Review Online.


Vol 1. Issue 2
October 2005